Saturday, June 20, 2009

a HUGE update.

Finally I can write the blog again. My current position is a laundromat in Weaverville, NC. I really needed to do some laundry because I have been working very diligently in the humid mountain weather up here in Madison county. 

After I got off the plane in italy I had one day to spend in Greensboro. Those lucky few who saw me, congratulations. To Gwendolyn Barlow, thanks for the ride and for taking me to get some smithfields.

After a tiny stint in my hometown, I made off for the mountains to work at a camp called Glory ridge. The first week I was there I got trained in what it means to be a staff person  and we did various things to get the camp ready for habitation such as cutting a whole lot of grass and moving a pile of mud with a tractor that didn't exactly work. 

For those of you that don't know, Glory Ridge is a Christian camp in the mountains that provides mission opportunities to youth groups during the summers and ministers to local impoverished or disabled people. It's pretty cool.

The ridge is wild. We have seen a total of four snakes. Two of which were copperheads. Also the place is practically a rain forest. It rains at least every other day here. Which is not so good if you are living in a tent in the forest on the side of a mountain. It's pretty spooky at night where I sleep.

This past monday we received our first group of campers. They were from the coast. Wilmington to be exact. It was a good time. I am going to have to tell you about them in the next post however. Keep reading and hopefully the posts will be more frequent once i get my library card. 

Also I'll have to write about my excursion to Asheville with Erin Keeffe. 

Goodbye.

-Jibreel

My first assignment 

No comments:

Post a Comment