Saturday, June 6, 2009

A Disembodied HEAD!

Today, me, mycousin and I, visited some church in Siena and saw that the head of some local saint was actually on display in a glass case. Upon seeing it you would think it was fake but then you notice that part of the lip has rotted away to reveal some tooth and jawbone. Jesus. This italian religious morbidity thing has really made an impression on me.

Besides all the severed heads, Siena is a really cool town. It is especially unique because each neighborhood has its own standard and they fly them on flags all around town. Also there is an anual horse race where the neighborhoods each bless a horse in their neighborhood curch and send it off with a jockey to race against the horses of the other neighborhoods. The neighborhood that wins gets to talk shit to the rest of town. That would be pretty cool if you ask me.

While in Siena we also climbed a huge tower. I recommend climbing towers in general. The tower we climbed was a bell tower. I had read about the tower in Rick Steve's guide to Italy (which is a sort of bible for dirty backpackers in Europe. Something I am not, but wish I was...). The guide made a point of explaining that the tower was actually not very structurally sound. This freaked me out pretty bad but I climbed the tower anyway. I can see myself chickening out though in a situation where I was not with other people who would have thought I was a huge pussy.

I wonder why the Italian tourist industry lets people like Rick Steve get away with writting that shit. I imagine they could just hire scary Sicilian thugs to kill anyone who would discourage any sort of sightseeing, seeing as how it is in their interest to do so. Watch the fuck out Rick Steve. With your two first-names they could find you anywhere. Or perhaps even more tragically, they would kill two innocent guys named Rick and Steve. Maybe a gay couple. Tis' possible! Don't fuck with the mob (i.e the Sienese chamber of commerce).

When sightseeing in Siena it is good to have a tour guide. Some shit i saw today I was not able to understand. There was a carving on the floor of a cathedral we visited of a bunch of guys stabbing babies with swords. No explanation for this carving could I devise except for this baby stabbing must have actually happened at some point. Wish a tour guide could have been there to prevent my imagination from constructing possible scenarios:

1. Babies talkin shit! gotta get stabbed...

2. Sorry babies, we're pretty hungry...

3. A sort of revolt against child support...

We may never know. Unless we actually put forth some effort to try to find out.

(Completely unrelated) I recomend Carla Bruni to anyone who thinks French talking is sexy or anyone who wants to keep in on a playlist designed to facilitate the wooing of women.

I think that's all I've got for now. Just want to mention that anyone who thinks they can write my blog better than me to go right ahead and tell me so. That is advice such as "Jibreel, I think that jumping from the topic of baby stabbing to Carla Bruni could be disconcering for your readers" is completely welcome. Please help me write better blogs. Just don't use my real name.

Do Not. Use my real name if you know it.

A pen name is really sexy anyway. so more people comment. and comment constructively. also, comment hilariously.
thanks!

-Jibreel

1 comment:

  1. Jibreel,
    I have been enjoying your blogs throughout your european adventure.To me this is sort of like a little getaway. I just read your latest entry while i try to calm down and keep from dropkicking my mom in the face.

    Much Love,
    Coolaideiqua

    ReplyDelete